Your move's checklist
To help plan for your move, FIDI has put together a checklist of recommended tasks from 6-8 weeks before you go up to the day of the move.
6-8 WEEKS BEFORE MOVE
- Decide what to do with the current housing: sell, rent
- Choose a FIDI moving company and set a date for packing
- Look into storage possibility
- Arrange temporary accommodation at destination
- Apply for visa(s) and working permit(s)
- Explain the reasons for your move to your family and close relations in good time.
- Make inventory of household items you want to take
- Think about airfreight shipment for the most needed goods
4-6 WEEKS BEFORE MOVE
- Arrange disposal of the belongings you no longer need
- Notify your childrens' schools or any organizations to which you belong, of your move.
- Notify of your address change
- Check with your bank manager that your accounts can be transferred smoothly
- Check validity date of all important documents: passport, driving licence etc.; Ensure that all work permits, visas etc. are approved and in your possession.
- Gather all your family's medical and dental records as well as school reports and certificates for the new schools.
- When moving with pets, check the quarantine regulations and get copies of veterinary records from your vet.
- Make a detailed inventory of the major items in your home for your insurance. Record their value and the date of purchase where possible.
- Schedule the survey of your household goods. It should be done as soon as you know which items you want to move.
2-3 WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Make sure you have valid insurance: personal, medical, car
- Collect together all relevant documents: ticket, hotel reservation ect,
- Make arrangements to cancel all your subscriptions (newspaper, magazines, clubs, f.i.)
- Arrange to discontinue all services (electricity, gas, water etc.)
- List all belongings to be moved and estimate value for each
THE WEEK BEFORE MOVING DAY
- Separate the goods you want to keep with you while travelling to your new home, including medicine, valuables, jewellery, permits and passports etc.
- Pack your suitcases for the trip. Be sure to pack enough belongings to meet your needs while we are transporting the rest.
- Drain the fuel and oil from lawn-mowers and other similar pieces of equipment.
- Make a list of goods you want our movers to pack last and to unpack first.
- Dispose of house plants.
- Arrange minders for children or pets for the day of the removal
ON THE DAY OF THE MOVE
- Give movers tour and instructions for what is being moved
- Stay close to the packing supervisor; point out items that need special handling and packaging, indicate items that are not going to be shipped (if possible, have them clearly marked before - post-it notes work effectively)
- Sign the inventory list and take your copy with you