A lot has been written about global mobility. But what are the issues that most concern expats and global mobility professionals? One easy way is to look at what they read – and examine what the data reveals. As a complete guide to the key issues surrounding mobility, we present our “Top Lists” – a collection of the posts that everyone seems to be reading:
- Most read articles by global mobility professionals
- Most read articles by expats
- Most read city guides: most researched locations
Most read articles by global mobility professionals
1. 6 dangerous assumptions that lead to expat failure (infographic)
Making false assumptions can be dangerous – and can lead to expat failure.
2. The real cost of expatriate assignment failure
Rob Chipman, former FIDI President, analyses the financial and non-financial cost of a failed international mobility assignment.
3. What qualities do expats need to succeed?
You need more than business knowledge to make a success of a global assignment. We look at the qualities every expat should have.
4. Global mobility & retention: is your talent strategy at risk?
Employees value expatriation, right? Not always. Some employers have trouble with post-assignment talent retention. Uncover the explanation and two ways to fix it.
5. Blurring the edges: the flexibility of modern global assignments
Global mobility departments have more choices than ever before. But this flexibility also brings along a series of new challenges. Learn how to conquer yours!
Most read articles by expats
1. Expat happiness: the constant pursuit of success abroad
A happy expat is a successful expat. But what can expats and global mobility professionals do to increase the chances of a successful expat experience?
2. Cross-cultural awareness: more than just a different country
Cross-cultural differences are often larger than expats expect – with direct consequences on their assignment. Raise your cross-cultural awareness and stay prepared.
3. Relocation allowance: what's included and what is it for?
Negotiating the right package is critical – assignees should always pay attention to what is included in the relocation allowance.
4. A parents’ guide to moving abroad with kids
In the busy relocation process, it’s easy to overlook how it impacts our children. Here are a few tips to help you see things from their perspective.
5. Does an expat assignment really help your career progression?
Find out four reasons why a global assignment may help your career progression – and four reasons why it may not.
Most read city guides: most researched locations
1. Beauty and the Beast: comparing Hong Kong and Singapore for expats
Which would you choose? The well-organized beauty of Singapore, or the chaotic reality of Hong Kong?
2. The pros and cons of expat life in Toronto
Commercially Canada’s most important city, Toronto is also its most multi-cultural – and an understandably attractive destination for expats. We assess both strengths and weaknesses.
3. The pros and cons of expat life in Frankfurt
Home to major financial institutions and Germany’s biggest international airport, Frankfurt is a well-heeled and important expat destination. But there is another side to the city they call ‘Mainhattan’.
4. The pros and cons of expat life in Moscow
The new frontier? Or where old attitudes persist? Find out the strengths and weaknesses of Moscow from an expat perspective.
5. The pros and cons of expat life in Vienna
Are you planning to live or work in Vienna? Behind the architecture and history of central Europe’s culture capital, see what lies in wait for expats.